I very much enjoy a light veggie soup in the summer but throw a little sausage in the mix and I’m golden. Even a veggie sausage. This soup recipe reminds me of my summer in Italy before marriage and kids. My feet up on the deck watching the sunset in my little villa with a glass of crisp pinot to wash it down. Now I’d be lucky to get a few bites of a lukewarm bowl of this deliciousness while standing over the sink. At least I have the memories, and now you have the recipe.
Time: 45 min Serving: 6
- 1 cup cut fresh zucchini
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cut fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 lb ground italian sausage or ground veggie sausage
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken or veggie broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first 8 ingredients with a little olive oil stirring occasionally.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a large skillet, brown sausage in oil over medium heat.
- Add a small amount of hot water.
- Cover and cook until sausage is no longer pink; drain.
- Cut into 1/4-in. slices and add to soup.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Toss in spinach. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese if you are a cheese head like me.