Prince Charming came wrapped in a tortilla today and boy was he worth the wait! Luckily for you, the wait won't be too long with the semi-homemade version of these tacos below. Dress up some store bought carnitas with a gorgeous slaw and some quick pickled onions. Add avocado if you're feelin' it (is anyone ever not feelin' it when it comes to avocado?). I know the photo has two tortillas, but I actually preferred these tacos with one. Do as I say, not as I do. Oh, and there's a homemade carnitas version for the real OGs. Enjoy!
Time: 4 hours Servings 8-10
Ingredients for prepared carnitas
1 Package of Trader Joe's prepared carnitas or see carnitas recipe below
- 6-7 lbs. boneless pork shoulder
- 1 cup orange juice
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 5-6 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon himalayan salt
- 1 chile in adobo, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 pack of your favorite soft shell tortillas (corn or flour)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Place the pork in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot.
- Add the orange juice, lime juice, garlic, cumin, salt, chile in adobo and enough water to just barely cover the meat.
- Bring the pot to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for two hours. Don’t touch the meat.
- After two hours, increase the heat to medium-high and while occasionally stirring and turning the pieces, continue to cook for about 45 minutes, or until all of the liquid has evaporated, leaving only the rendered pork fat.
- Let it sizzle in this fat long enough to brown at the edges, turning pieces gently (they’ll be eager to fall apart), only as needed.
- When pork has browned on both sides, it’s ready.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
Pickled Onions and Tortillas
- Bring water, vinegar, honey, and salt to a boil.
- Add onions and simmer, uncovered for 3 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Put olive oil in a medium size pan (low heat)
- Place 3 to 4 tortillas in the heated pan
- Cook for 2 mins on each side
- Pat tortilla dry with paper towel
- Stuff tortilla with carnitas and pickled onions
- Garnish with cilantro or cilantro slaw (below) and enjoy
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoonshoney
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- dash of red chile flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 bag coleslaw mix or thinly sliced purple cabbage
- In a blender, blend vinegar, honey, ginger, red pepper, oil, salt and cilantro.
- Mix with coleslaw mix.
- Let stand, tossing occasionally, until slaw is a bit wilted (about 10 minutes).