This is a recipe for one of those Sundays you want a leisurely morning at home, but are embarrassed to admit how long its been since you went grocery shopping. I basically used everything in my fridge and cracked a couple eggs on top, added some herbs and crunch and it almost felt like it was on purpose. Feel free to make this recipe your own, nothing is stopping you from a 'whatever's-in-the-fridge egg bake'!
Time: 25 mins Servings: 4
- 2 1/2 cup cooked lentils (I use Trader Joe's steamed lentils)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne/chilli flakes
- 1/2 bag of Trader Joe’s frozen carrot medallions (cooked)
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 4 eggs
- Feta or goat’s cheese (optional)
- Handful of gluten free french fried onions
- Thyme for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350*
- In a largish cast iron skillet or oven safe pan, heat the olive oil on medium-low. Add the garlic, lightly sautee, then add the tomatoes and allow them to soften. Add the spices and sautee till the raw smell of the spices disappears- the oil will start to separate a little at this point. Add the carrots and bell pepper, season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook for 7 minutes until the mixture begins to break down and soften. Add the lentils, cover and simmer till the mixture thickens.
- Next, make gentle wells in the mixture with the back of a spoon and crack the eggs in. Season with salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Crumble some goat’s cheese or feta over the top, and bake for 7 minutes or until egg whites are cooked and the yolks are set to your liking. Top with chopped thyme and gluten free french fried onions.