I was never a big fan of fennel until my friend Jane presented me with this simple yet delicious salad. I don’t know if it is the thinly sliced fennel, Jane's simple tangy citrus dressing (that she has given me permission to share with you) or maybe the fact that Jane is the epitome of all things woman, but I could eat this salad all day everyday while listening to her tell stories about how to stay independent as a wife, mother, and all around bad ass. Everyone needs a Jane!
Time: 15 mins, Serves 4 as a side
- 5 ounces (about 5 packed cups) arugula, washed and dried
- 1 fennel bulb, shaved on a mandoline or thinly sliced
- Shaved or grated fresh parmesan
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Juice of one lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Toast the slivered almonds in a small sautee pan, watching carefully and tossing frequently so they don't burn. Once toasted, spread them out on a paper towel or plate to cool.
- Combine the arugula and shaved fennel in a serving bowl.
- Combine the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and a few grinds of pepper in a jam jar or other small container with a lid. Shake the dressing until smooth. Dip a leaf of arugula into the dressing and taste; adjust any of the dressing ingredients to taste.
- Pour half the dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine. Add more dressing a little bit at a time until you have dressed the salad sufficiently to your liking. Add toasted almonds and parmesan.