Coming up with fun innovative ways to not die of boredom during your new found divorce downtime can be interesting in the beginning. I often find myself caught between a nice bottle of white wine and a chicken waiting to be fried to a golden crisp. But one cannot live on wine and fried chicken alone. So this week I made a sensible choice and threw together a simple salad with a nice protein. And it just so happens to pair perfectly with a giant glass of Pinot Grigio. Can’t blame a girl for trying.
- 4 5-ounce center-cut salmon fillets (about 1-inch thick)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch kale, ribs removed, and thinly sliced
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, thinly sliced
- Handful of dates
- 1/4 cup finely grated pecorino
- 3 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add the kale, toss and put to the side.
- Cut the dates into thin slices
- Cut the apple into matchsticks.
- Add the dates, apples, cheese and almonds to the kale.
- Season with pepper to taste
- Sprinkle the salmon all over with 1/2 teaspoon salt and some pepper.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Place the salmon, skin-side up in the pan.
- Cook until golden brown on one side, about 4 minutes.
- Turn the salmon over and cook for about 3 minutes more.
- Place salad in salad bowl and place your salmon on top
- Garnish with lemon twist